Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Quick Shots 14

Title: 50/50

Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Seth Rogen, Anna Kendrick, Bryce Dallas Howard, Matt Frewer, Philip Baker Hall and Anjelica Huston. 

Brief Synopsis: Adam (Gordon-Levitt) has been dealing with some back problems. He is currently in a relationship with Rachael (Howard) that he thinks is going well, despite their lack of intimacy. Adam goes to the doctor for his back problem and finds out that he has a rare form of cancer on his spine. His best friend Kyle (Rogen) does his best to help his friend out, which means trying to use his new illness to score chicks. In order to deal with his disease, the hospital sends him to a shrink, Katherine (Kendrick), who is fresh out of school and still learning - in fact Adam is her third patient.

Opinion: This was both a hilarious and dramatic film. I could not believe how they could take such a serious subject like cancer and actually make a funny film, but I was laughing out loud a number of times. Gordon-Levitt just continues to impress me - one of the best working actors in Hollywood right now. Rogen was great as his best friend - I like my Rogen in small doses, so here as a secondary character was perfect. And, I am just in love with Kendrick - more movies like this and less Twilight (see below). Also nice to see Mr. Max Headroom himself (and Honey I Shrunk the Kids alum) Matt Frewer. He and Hall played two cancer patients that receive chemo treatments with Adam and they all become good friends. I have to say, I loved this film and I could probably watch it again right now.

Grade:

Title: The Smurfs

Starring: Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays, Hank Azaria, Sofia Vergara, Katy Perry (voice), Jonathan Winters (voice), George Lopez (voice), Anton Yelchin (voice), Fred Armisen (voice) and Alan Cumming (voice).

Brief Synopsis: Clumsy Smurf (Yelchin) accidentally leads Gargamel (Azaria) and Azrael to the Smurf Village and it gets destroyed. During the escape, Clumsy runs the wrong way and a handful of other Smurfs run to get him. Only they are followed by Gargamel and Papa (Winters) opens a vortex that sucks them into present day NYC. They befriend Patrick (Harris) and Grace (Mays) Winslow, who agree to help them find a star gazer in hopes to create another Blue Moon so that they can return home.

Opinion: Honestly, as I said in a previous blog post, I think I have softened a bit when it comes to children's movies. In the past I don't think I would have even watched this movie, but I did because my son wanted to. And, I actually enjoyed it. Not a ton, but I was entertained while watching it, which is all I can truly ask for in films. And, for this type of film I left pleasantly surprised.

Grade:

Title: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I

Starring: Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner. 

Brief Synopsis: The third book (and movie) in the Twilight series. This, however, is broken into two parts - this is the first part of the film. Bella (Stewart) and Edward (Pattinson) are getting married. Jacob (Lautner) is of course pissed over this and runs off to Canada to vent, however, he does return in time to see the pair at their wedding reception and learn that Bella won't be turned into a vampire until after their honeymoon. Of course, this back fires - as Jacob knew it would - and Bella somehow gets pregnant with Edward's child. Bella, against the wishes of almost everyone, decides to keep the baby and throughout the movie becomes visibly weak as the child is killing her from the inside. After the news gets out to the 'Wolf Pack', their new leader wants to attack the Cullen family because of what has happened to Bella, and destroy the offspring. Jacob, though, breaks from the pack and vows to protect Bella, the Cullens and her baby. 

Opinion: As I have said in the past, these are not my favorite films. My wife enjoys them and I watch them with her, usually just once. I sometimes crack jokes during the film Mystery Science Theater style, and usually get hit for them. This was probably my least favorite of the three I have seen. Absolutely nothing happens in this movie besides a wedding, honeymoon and birth. There are very small action scenes, but few and far between. I have been promised that the final film will be action packed - here's hoping.

Grade:
 

2 comments:

  1. If by action packed they meant a climax that has absolutely no action and just people standing around and talking until people decide to go home, then yeah... it's the next Matrix.

    ReplyDelete