Thursday, February 9, 2012

13/50x2: The Kids Are All Right

The first time I saw Mark Ruffalo in a film, at least I think it was the first time, was in the Big-like film 13 Going on 30. I can't recall ever seeing him again, but he reminded me of someone (someone that escapes me now).

Since then, Ruffalo has become a pretty well-known actor, who seems to be in quite a few films each year - and will soon be stepping into the role of the Hulk in this year's The Avengers.

I have really enjoyed watching him become such a good actor, and so I definitely found it necessary to check out the well-received The Kids Are All Right.

In the film, Nicole (Annette Benning) and Jules Allgood (Julianne Moore) are a married, lesbian couple who have two children, Joni (Mia Wasikowska) and Laser (Josh Hutcherson).

In order for this lesbian couple to have children, they went went to a 'bank'. Nicole carried one of the children, and the next go around Jules was the mother.

As the children have become older, they begin to get curious as to who may be their real father. As they do some digging they find that Paul (Ruffalo) is the father of both of them.

Paul is a bit 'out there' in life, I would say a bit of a hippie, but when he meets the children they all get along and Paul is excited about possibly being a part of their lives.

The entrance of Paul into the family really turns them upside down, as they begin to realize some of the things that have been going on in their lives - mostly with Nic and Jules.

Nic has been the main provider of the family as a OB/GYN and is also the discipline of the family. Jules is much more laid back and has gone through business after business - now trying her hand at landscaping - and feels unappreciated by Nic.

So with the entrance of Paul and these feelings coming to the surface, would it bring the family closer together or split them apart?

An amazingly well acted film. I have only seen Wasikowska in two films now, but I really think she is an up-and-coming actress. I have come to either love or loathe Moore in films, and here I thought she was amazing. And, I may be wrong, but this may also be the second time I have seen Benning in a film - and again she was a lot like her character in American Beauty. But, that works for her.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and it is great to show that there is not much difference between a gay/lesbian household compared to a straight household. Both have difficulties and both worry about their children. Hopefully films like these allow those who feel strongly against same-sex households to change their tune - but of course it is tough to change bigotry.

Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment