Friday, February 3, 2012

12/50x2: Sherlock Holmes

I have to admit that my knowledge of Sherlock Holmes only truly comes from heresy and the Disney film The Great Mouse Detective (even though that is technically not Holmes).

So, my vision for Holmes was not truly what Robert Downey, Jr.'s portrayal in Sherlock Holmes. 


So, Holmes and his partner Watson (Jude Law) are on the hunt for a murderer, Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong). They capture Blackwood before he kills a woman during what appears to be a ritualistic killing.

Months later, Watson is on the verge of taking off from Baker Street and getting married. Holmes is also visited by Irene Adler (Rachel McAdams), a thief from Holmes' past. She asks him to find a missing man named Luke Reardon.

Around the same time, Blackwood's tomb explodes from the inside. A gravedigger claims that he has seen Blackwood himself, and when Holmes and Watson check the coffin, Adler's missing man, Reardon is in his place.

I'm obviously doing this review a bit too late, because I actually had to get a jolt to remember what the premise of the film was all about. I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

I do remember somewhat enjoying the film. I also remember that for the entire film I thought Blackwood was Andy Garcia - imagine my surprise.

The main reason I added this to my list is because its sequel came out in December and I figured I should see the first before the next one is on DVD.

That being said, I do hope the sequel is a little bit better then the first. I enjoyed the actors, but the story must not have been that great - especially if I had trouble remembering the plot just a few months later.

Grade:

1 comment:

  1. Nice review of the movie. Downey Jr makes a very interesting Sherlock Holmes.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete