Tuesday, May 10, 2011

39/50: Robin Hood

I don't know the true/main story of the original Robin Hood. My memories of Robin Hood stem from Disney's version and Kevin Costner's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I guess you can also toss in Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

So, when I watched the Russell Crowe version of Robin Hood I was immediately confused. Isn't the Sheriff of Nottingham supposed to be the bad guy? Well, according to the Prince of Thieves he is. Or, was it Prince John?

In this version it appears to be France that
is the enemy. Until we get to the end, but I am getting ahead of myself.

So, Crowe stars as Robin Longstride, and fights in the Crusades with a man called Robert Loxley. Longstride along with a trio of others, Will Scarlett (Scott Grimes), Little John (Kevin Durand) and Allan A'Dayle (Alan Doyle) return to England to notify Loxley of his son's death and Robin is asked to pretend that he is in fact Loxley returned from the war - and also take care of Loxley's girlfriend, Lady Marian (Cate Blanchett). Did you get all of that? I know it's confusing.

Anyway, in my opinion this film was setup as the beginning of a series of films. The ending, after Robin helps defeat the French, Prince John burns the treaty that was drawn up to relieve taxes against the commoners. He also declares that Robin is an outlaw.

Here is where the film, or next film, should start up. This is the setup we needed to begin where everything belongs. Robin is an outlaw. Prince John is the villain.

But, we will probably not get another film because this one was mediocre in its reception. Too bad because I feel they were setting up for something that could be fun. I have said before I am not a Crowe fan, but I handled him here. I am a fan of Durand, Grimes and Mark Addy (who played Friar Tuck), however, so I would have liked to have seen what happened next.

So, my grade reflects this particular film, not how good I feel the future films could have been.

Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment