Friday, April 15, 2011

34/50: This is Spinal Tap

I have heard about this film forever. I absolutely love Michael McKean (mostly from Clue). And, I have known about the many quotes that come from this movie. But, I have never seen it and I began to worry that if I did I would be let down.

And, I was.

Spinal Tap just really wasn't a type of film that I enjoy. I can handle mockumentaries, but this was so obvious about what was going to happen. It made me laugh a handful of times, but that was the extent of it.

The film follows a trio of Heavy Metal artists known as Spinal Tap on a tour for their upcoming new record. The band consists of David St. Hubbins (McKean), Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest) and Derek Smalls (Harry Shearer).

The group had been together forever and their following has sort of dwindled over the years. Once playing huge venues, they were now stuck playing smaller events - and even losing events due to lack of interest.

That, along with the major issue of the cover art of their new CD and St. Hubbins' wife, sort of drives a stake into the band - and things begin to go south.

I guess it is my fault for knowing a lot about music. The film basically pulled most of its content from famous bands - most notably The Beatles. The whole Yoko Ono scenario and a member leaving the band - then returning for one more amazing show.

I honestly don't have too much to say about the film. It was only 80 minutes long and at times that felt too long for me. I can't say I hated it, but I definitely did not enjoy it like I thought I could.

It was, however, strange to see some (now) pretty famous people in such small roles, like Bruno Kirby and Billy Crystal (both seen in City Slickers).

Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment