Monday, March 14, 2011

23/50: The Social Network

I remember when I graduated college in 2004 and my sister came home for the summer or a break or something and had this amazing Facebook website - the first time I had ever seen it. And, for some reason I was unable to join this prestigious site. I am not sure the reason, but it was either that my former college was not on Facebook or my college email was no longer functioning.

So, I was a bit peeved that my sister was on this glorious site that kept her in touch with high school and college friends. And, I was still only able to do so on the phone or AIM.

Needless to say, I was very happy when Facebook finally dropped the only college format and allowed everyone to join their site - and I have been a member and avid use ever since.

But, a movie about the creation of this site? How could that be interesting at all?

Well, apparently it was tons interesting, because not only was it nominated for an Oscar for best picture, but I absolutely loved it.

For one, I had no idea about the main reason behind this website and just how much legal drama went on with it. Just so we can stalk that one girl we saw at summer camp in 1995 and really have never talked to since.

The opening scene with Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg) and Erica Albright (Rooney Mara) was breathtaking. I found myself literally doing all I could to follow this conversation between Ivy League geniuses.

From there I was hooked and then the actual computer stuff began, starting with LiveJournal, which my wife and I used to use back in the day - which was very nostalgic for us.

The way Facebook finally got truly going is great, and to see just how many people were involved and affected from it was amazing. The one thing I never knew, however, was that the Napster guy Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake) was so involved - even though he wasn't really. "Drop the The" is not really what made the site take off.

Another siting, Joseph Mazzello, of Jurassic Park fame has a bit part as Dustin Moskovitz, one of Zuckerberg's roommates.

I won't go into a bunch of the legal mumbo-jumbo because that is what the film is truly about, but the entire film is very entertaining and extremely smart. Nice to see how something we use everyday, and basically take for granted, came to be so big.

Grade:

1 comment: