Thursday, February 10, 2011

11/50: Walk the Line

I got this movie a long time ago, probably when it first came out on DVD. But, for some reason I didn't get a chance to watch. My wife, however, did watch it and absolutely loved it. So, she has been telling me that I should watch it - and I finally did.

Walk the Line is the biographical story of Johnny Cash starring Joaquin Phoenix as the titular character. I must admit that I was not really a fan of Cash's music, so I really had no interest in his story. But, after watching the film, I do like a lot of his songs.

Anyway, the film starts out about 3/4 of the way through as Cash is sitting back stage about to head out and play his famous Folsom Prison concert. Then, the flashback occurs and we start out seeing how Cash's childhood was like and how he got his start.

The film has it all, and everything that you would expect from a music star's life. If you can think it, it most likely happened in Cash's life.

All-in-all Walk the Line is a love story. Most of the film is Cash pursuing his love for June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), most of the time with Cash is married already. So, despite the feelings that June may feel for Cash, there is always something in the way of them getting together.

Witherspoon took home the Oscar for Best Actress in a Lead Role for her portrayal of Carter while Phoenix was also nominated for Best Actor in a Lead Role for his performance as Cash.

I came away very pleased, more knowledgeable of Cash's life and actually far more interested in Cash and his music. In fact, I am now the owner of the Walk the Line soundtrack.

Terrific film and I have to give my wife some props for telling (read nagging) me to watch it.



Grade:

No comments:

Post a Comment