Thursday, February 10, 2011

10/50: Despicable Me

When I first saw this preview last year during a very rare trip to the theater I didn't know what to expect. And honestly, I never really became interested in seeing it even after the full trailer was released.

However, Despicable Me began to get some good press and, of course, any time there is a somewhat decent cartoon film out my son will want to see it.

As it was not as good as either How To Train Your Dragon or Toy Story 3 it was still a decent enough film - and it made me laugh a handful of times.

The premise is this, Gru (Steve Carell) is a want-to-be super villain. He has come up with a way to be the greatest super villain in the world by stealing a shrink ray gun and shrinking - then stealing - the moon.

He goes to a bank that deals exclusively with loaning money to super villains run by Mr. Perkins (Will Arnett). Perkins agrees to Gru's plan if he can steal the shrink ray gun. However, another up-and-coming villain named Vector (Jason Segel) steals the gun first.

In order to break into Vector's house/workshop, Gru decides to adopt a trio of sisters, Margo (Miranda Cosgrove), Edith (Dana Gaier), and Agnes (Elsie Fisher).

Of course, things go wrong and what you expect to happen does begin to happen - but it is done rather well.

Now, we come to the minions. Gru has a huge amount of 'people' working for him that are called the minions. When I first saw these creatures I thought they were a bit of a ripoff of the aliens from Toy Story. And, to a small extent they are. However, they were very funny and actually sweet - so they fit in nicely.

So, it wasn't an amazing film, but it was a nice watch and I did laugh a few times - plus my son liked it, so there's that.

Grade:

1 comment:

  1. I really liked this. Much more than I expected to. Every scene with the minions in the background cracked me up. When Gru tells the girls it's time for bed and they're playing with 2 minions, everyone groans. Then he tells the minions they don't have to go to bed, and they cheer, it makes me giggle thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete