Monday, January 31, 2011

3/50: MacGruber

I must say, I am glad that I tossed at least a few comedies in my list. I found myself longing to laugh a few times - so I decided to toss in a comedy.

I really had no expectations heading in to watching MacGruber, but I was not expecting much at all. However, it was a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

Will Forte stars as the titular character, MacGruber, from the Saturday Night Live skit. MacGruber has been living in hiding since faking his own death, but is called back into duty when a nuclear war head is stolen.

He is teamed up with new agent, Dixon Piper (Ryan Phillippe) and his widow's best friend, Vicki St. Elmo (Kristen Wiig) to track down who stole the war head - which MacGruber believes is his archenemy and the person who killed his wife, Dieter Von Conth (Val Kilmer).

Like I said, I wasn't expecting much at all, but the film actually had a decent story, some nice action and quite a few laugh out loud moments. I was very surprised.

What is even more surprising is that Forte was able to carry a film as a lead. He has been very good in bit parts or secondary characters, but I never expected him to be able to do a film as a lead, and he did it well.

Grade:

1 comment:

  1. I actually saw this in the theater, and kinda liked it. Its idiotic humor, but it definitely had some moments, the least of which were the most toilet-y. Harmless and forgettable mostly, but not nearly as terrible as it was made out to be.

    ReplyDelete