Friday, July 9, 2010

TV Meme: Day 25 - A Show I Plan on Re-Watching

I had to eliminate many of my favorite comedy shows from this section because, honestly, I can watch those an infinite amount of times and really not get tired of them.

So, this really came down to a couple of shows for me, but in the end I decided to go with The Wire.



This show was created by David Simon and ran on HBO for five seasons starting in 2002. The premise of the show is the drug ring that resides in the city of Baltimore.

This was a pretty interesting show because it kept adding a different part to the series to show just how the drug pushing is effecting everybody.

If I can remember, the first season was mainly about the drug sellers and the police - but what is great is you see both sides and actually get to know each and every character.

The second season introduces the shipping yard and their crew into the mix. The third season I believe added the politicians. The fourth season took on the schools and the children. And finally, in the fifth and final season, the newspaper industry was looked at.

The drug kingpin in the beginning of the series was Avon Barksdale (Wood Harris) and his sidekick Stringer Bell (Idris Elba). We see inside their operation and how they do what they do to stay out of trouble and out of the reach of the police.

The main police detective is Jimmy McNulty (Dominic West), who is a bit of a crazy and quite possibly an alcoholic - but who will do anything to bring down this operation. He is paired with both Kima Greggs (Sonja Sohn) and Bunk Moreland (Wendell Pierce). Cedric Daniels (Lance Reddick) leads them as lieutenant.

This show was not only interesting, but apparently very accurate when it came to portraying everything that is going on in the streets of Baltimore.

I watched all five seasons over the course of about 2-3 weeks, but I am definitely going to have to go back through them to catch some of the things I may have missed. It is one of the best written shows that was ever on television and the characters are simply amazing, and so well rounded.

It's amazing that it only lasted five seasons, but that is apparently all that Simon needed to tell his story. And the show went out on top.

Truly great show and one non-comedy I definitely plan on re-watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment