Friday, February 20, 2009

Scrubs: Interns

OK, so I realize I have been totally terrible in posting this month. The main reason is I have been overly busy at work with a job that is due next week. My hope is that once March rolls around that things will have died down a little and I can get back to daily blogging and a little more movie/tv watching. So look for that (hopefully) in the next few weeks.

As many of you out there know, Scrubs is probably my No. 1 favorite comedic television show of all-time. Throughout its run it seriously got hosed on NBC, as it moved multiple times to different times and even days. That being said, it was able to survive seven seasons on the network thanks to its loyal fan base. It was finally given the boot after last season, its seventh on NBC, only to be picked up by ABC for what was thought to be its eighth and final season.

The eighth season started in January, airing on Tuesday nights at 9 and 9:30 p.m. Apparently, from the get-go it was always supposed to move after a handful of shows to Wednesday night, where it will be paired with a new comedy, Better Off Ted, and a lead-in for both Lost and Life on Mars - which means Wednesday nights is now officially ABC nights in my house.

Scrubs has aired 10 brand new shows for the eighth season, before going on a months long hiatus (which it is currently in) before the final move to Wednesdays.

Kicking around before the start of the season, however, was the fact that Scrubs may be given the ER treatment. If the show does well, ABC may decide to pick up the show for additional seasons - but creator Bill Lawrence and stars Zach Braff (JD) and Judy Reyes (Carla) have already said the would not be returning - meaning the show would go forth without many of its current pieces (hence the ER reference).

I have to say, I was very torn on the idea of Scrubs continuing on without Braff - and especially without its creator Lawrence. The show revolves around Braff, with the few occasions that someone else was thrown into the spotlight.

When the season started, we were given a handful of brand new interns - three of which appeared to be the new crew the show was hoping to continue on with: Katie (Betsy Beutler), Denise (Eliza Coupe) and Ed (Aziz Ansari). I was not immediately thrilled with the new additions - and despite the ongoing love that I had been hearing for Ansari, I have to be honest I wasn't that impressed. So my feelings were that in no way was this show going past this season - these characters have no chance of continuing on.

But, after just a few episodes, Dr. Cox fired Ed due to his laziness. And we were introduced to two new interns: Sunny (Sonal Shah) and H0wie (Todd Bosley) - Sidenote: you may remember Bosley as the funny little kid in Little Giants.

I have to admit, that with these two new interns and Denise becoming more of a character, I am starting to enjoy the interns. I am still torn on Katie, but she still has time to sway me. I have been watching their webisode: Scrubs: Interns on abc.com - it's brought to you by Sunny as she documents her first year as an intern - and it is pretty entertaining, and you get to learn a little bit more about your new Sacred Heart interns.

I am still not 100% sure that these four could carry a show by themselves - but I have a little more hope than I did when it was just Katie, Denise and Ed. Plus, the new interns aren't too hard to look at. And how about some Howie for the ladies?

The show has been very enjoyable since its return - but I am a bit saddened that so far we haven't had the entire main cast back together. Due to a budget, most characters have been missing some of the shows (I found out that each main character will miss at least two) in order to make the budget due to their salaries. But, we have been getting a lot more Ted, which is nice - and his cutie, ukulele playing girlfriend Gooch (Kate Micucci).

I will definitely miss my favorite show when it is gone - but I do hope that they give the new interns a chance, perhaps just with a new name - continuing on with Scrubs: Interns to show that it is in fact a different show.

No comments:

Post a Comment