Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rookie All Star Guesses

The 2009 NBA All-Star game will be played in Phoenix this season during the three-day period of February 13-15.

For the most part, I try to take in as much of the festivities as possible - but my favorite events are the NBA Rookie All-Star game and the 3-point shootout. To a lesser extent, I also enjoy the slam dunk contest and other events, but not as much as the other two.

So, before the team is announced I thought I would look over the two classes and see who would be making it to the rookie challenge this season.

For those that do not know, a few years ago the rookie challenge changed from an all rookie event, to the Rookies vs. Sophomores. Therefore, only nine players are usually selected from each class.

Also, as you will see, I am not totally sure about the rules for selection - but I will explain that after my picks.

For the Sophomores:
Kevin Durant (Thunder)
Daequan Cook (Heat)
Rodney Stuckey (Pistons)
Al Horford (Hawks)
Wilson Chandler (Knicks)
Luis Scola (Rockets)
Mike Conley (Grizzlies)
Jeff Green (Thunder)
Aaron Brooks (Rockets)

For the Rookies:
Derrick Rose (Bulls)
Michael Beasley (Heat)
OJ Mayo (Grizzlies)
Brooke Lopez (Nets)
DJ Augustine (Bobcats)
Eric Gordon (Clippers)
Greg Oden (Blazers)
Kevin Love (T-wolves)
Rudy Fernandez (Blazers)

Now, my main concern is for Oden - who technically would have been a sophomore had he not been injured for his entire rookie season - in my mind he is a rookie, but I am not sure where the league stands on this. That being said, I may also include Marc Gasol in the rookie list of the Grizzlies, who is having a great year as well.

That's funny, the rookie list was a lot harder to select because there are so many rookies on the cusp. So many on the fringe of being great, so narrowing it down to nine was difficult.

The sophomore list was actually hard as well, but for another reason - most of them just aren't having great years. It was difficult finding nine able bodies - in fact Al Horford is injured right now but should be able to play. Yi Jianlian of the Nets would have been eligible, but as of now is injured as well - and I think too injured to be able to play in this game.

Well, those are my predictions. I was looking to see when the announcement would be made, but I can't find it anywhere - so when they are announced we'll have to compare my predictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment