Monday, December 22, 2008

25 Days: Charlie Brown Christmas/Garfield's Christmas

This may actually offend some people, but I watched A Charlie Brown Christmas last night, and I have to say I wasn't too impressed.

I think it's luster has sort of disappeared - I mean I never even heard of an aluminum Christmas tree, that is how old this film is.

A Charlie Brown Christmas is one of those Christmas films that you are just supposed to love - like Rudolph and Frosty. I mean these are classic holiday favorites. And I always had this misconception that I loved this movie.

I must not have watched it for a long time, because after watching it last night the only time in the film I enjoyed was when they rescued the poor Christmas tree and then sang as the credits rolled.

I was definitely glad this one was a quick watch - because I don't think I could have lasted more than half an hour.

On the other hand, despite being some pretty awful looking animation by today's standards A Garfield Christmas Special was still enjoyable.

It was fun to see grown, adult men still waking their parents up at 1:30 a.m. to see if they could open their presents. It was also nice to see Odie making a special gift for Garfield - and Garfield doing something nice for Grandma Arbuckle.

This one was very easy to sit through, and I could have watched a lot more of it as well.

Charlie Brown Grade:

Garfield Grade:

1 comment:

  1. BOOOOOOO!!!!!

    I still love the Charlie Brown Christmas and still watch it every year, despite the fact that I wasn't really around for aluminum Christmas trees, either. It's all about two things (well, three, really):

    1. the music by Vince Guaraldi. It doesn't just make the special special, it's some of the best Xmas music around.

    2. tied to that, it doesn't get much better than the dancing scene. Hilarious.

    3. Linus's speech about what Christmas is really all about. I'm not the slightest bit religious, but I still know that that minute is better than so many other Christmas specials combined.

    I probably saw the Garfield one years ago, but can't recall much of anything. Don't they make a road trip to John's parents or something?

    Reminds me of a Smurfs' Xmas episode I used to like as a kid...

    ReplyDelete