Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Revisit: Baseball Playoff Predictions

Is the Major League Baseball season almost over? Finally. It is insane how long the season is. Want a small glimpse? I just tried to find my playoff prediction blog that I wrote to see how horrible I did with my picks - and it was my second blog written on this site.

THAT'S INSANE!!!!

Anyway, the Chicago White Sox finally made the playoff picture complete yesterday with a 1-0 victory over the Minnesota Twins. It's amazing, the baseball season is so damn long (please see above) and they still needed an extra game to sort this mess out.

Just to make things clear, in case you can't tell, I am not the biggest baseball fan. Like I have said before, the game is just not made to be watched on television. It's so slow. Games at a minimum are three hours long, and even then, the action is just too slow paced for my liking.

Baseball has long been labeled 'America's Game', but I have to say I think the NFL has long since surpassed it.

On to the actual blog.

Back in BLOG TWO: I predicted that the eight playoff teams would be as follows.

NL West: San Diego Padres
NL East: Atlanta Braves
NL Central: Chicago Cubs
NL Wildcard: NY Mets
AL West: Anaheim Angels
AL East: Boston Red Sox
AL Central: Detroit Tigers
AL Wildcard: Cleveland Indians

As you can tell, these predictions sucked. I correctly picked just one team in the National League, as the Cubs did win the Central. And in the American League, the only true correct pick was the Angels winning the West, although the Red Sox did make the playoffs as the wildcard.

Down the stretch the Mets not only choked again, but they choked twice. After leading the East they allowed the Philadelphia Phillies to pass them again - and then allowed the Milwaukee Brewers to pass them in the wildcard. That is just as bad as the collapse from last season. But, the GM and the coach should get extensions - Oh wait, they did.

The Padres ended up being one of the worst teams in the league this season, so that prediction was truly terrible. The Dodgers outlasted the Diamondbacks thanks to the Manny Ramirez addition, and captured the West.

In the American League, I don't think anybody had the Tampa Bay Rays coming from the basement of the East to overtake not only the Red Sox, but the Yankees as well. A great story for the season, and I am rooting for them to make it to the World Series.

Well, as you can tell me baseball predictions were worse than horrible. Out of eight teams I correctly selected three - and only two of those in their correct location. Hope I do better in football and basketball (two sports I actually follow).

Anyway, to wrap up my playoff predictions:

Round One
Tampa Bay over Chicago
Boston over Anaheim
Chicago over LA
Milwaukee over Philadelphia

Round Two
Boston over Tampa Bay
Chicago over Milwaukee

World Series
Chicago over Boston

There you have it Cubs fans. Add me to the goat and Bartman. I have officially jinxed you from winning the World Series this year.

Now let's wrap up the season already. Spring Training starts in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment