Monday, October 6, 2008

Iron Man/Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I did something this past weekend that I am normally not accustomed to doing. And I can now sort of see why I never do it, although I must admit it was worth it.

I have gotten pretty accurate in returning my Netflix DVDs in order for them to return on a Monday. When this happens, I almost always get a movie that is coming out brand spanking new on Tuesday - I usually get them on Wednesday. Anyway, if you miss out on getting them right away - it could be months before you luck out and get one.

Last Tuesday, two movies I have been longing to see since they were released in the theater dropped on DVD - Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Iron Man. I told myself not to send back the Netflix DVDs until a certain time so that I could get both of these on Wednesday. But, without thinking, I tossed my returning DVDs into the mail and they got to Netflix way before they are allowed to ship me the brand spanking new movies. So, I screwed up.

Anyway, with movies like these two I would never had received them from Netflix until possibly Christmas - so I blew the dust off of my Blockbuster card and traveled over to rent these two movies. In the end, it cost me nearly 12 dollars. I have certainly learned my lesson.

But was it worth it?

(Possible Spoilers hidden in the article)

I will start with Iron Man as I have heard so many great things about the movie this summer. From what I could tell it was the best movie of the summer not named The Dark Knight.

Anyway, after watching the film I think I have to agree with all of the buzz. Robert Downey Jr. was simply amazing as Tony Stark/Iron Man, and I can see why is stock has risen to astronomical preportions.

I had done my best to sort of hide under a rock and not get the total idea of the movie, so it was pretty surprising to me when I saw a bald Jeff Bridges as Tony's right hand man, and eventual villain.

I had read a few opinions on the choice for Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts, Stark's secretary/obvious love interest. I must admit, I have never really seen Paltrow as an A-list actress, but her performance in this film I felt was very strong.

Hidden throughout the entire film were hints as to a sequel, which after the enormous box-office draw the film has seen, was already green-lit. It was fun to pick up on some of the lines and scenes of things that might become.

Anyway, to wrap up I was very much impressed with the entire story-line of Iron Man. It did what other successful comicbook adapdations were able to do. It told the story of Tony Stark, how he became Iron Man and his reasons behind his transformation, while also providing a serperate storyline that helped Iron Man become a true superhero. All the while keeping the audience entertained.

Grade:

The other film I was able to catch was Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

The movie was penned by Jason Segel of How I Met Your Mother fame. It is loosely based on a relationship that Segel himself had with, according to sources, Linda Cardellini of ER.

Segel is Peter Bretter, a musician who has been doing the music in the hit television show Crime Scene. His girlfriend, Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell), just so happens to be the star of the television series.

Marshall, however, breaks Bretter's heart when she leaves him for another man. Bretter has a difficult time getting over her and his half-brother/friend Brian Bretter (Bill Hader) tells him to go on vacation and try and forget about her.

Bretter takes the advice and heads off to Hawaii, and checks into a hotel where Marshall also happens to be staying at with her new boyfriend, Aldous Snow (Russell Brand), a pop singer.

This throws Bretter into yet another crying-fest, until he befriends a hotel worker Rachel Jansen (Mila Kunis).

I'll leave the plot at that, because everything else that happens is pretty important to the ending. I will say that the full-frontal scenes of Segel were definitely turn-away worthy. Although perhaps the ladies will enjoy it - I don't know, the wife didn't give me a thumbs up or anything. Brand was pretty decent in the film, I did find him a little over-the-top, but some of his lines were pretty funny. Jonah Hill makes another appearance in an Apatow-movie, as a host at the hotel's restaurant - but his role was a little flat for me. Paul Rudd makes a small cameo in the film, his role was a little better than Hill's but not by much.

I enjoyed the film a lot, but I guess I actually came away a little disappointed due to the amount of hype I put into seeing it. I think I'll have to see it again to truly appreciate it, but I do know I had a handful of laugh out loud moments, which always makes a movie watchable for me.

Grade:

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to rank these for me - I enjoyed them both a lot, and at this point, both would be in my top 10 for the year (I think). I was really pleasantly surprised by Brand, though I also wasn't too impressed with Hill and Rudd. I enjoy both, but there just wasn't much there, and I'm shocked when I hear people say this was Rudd's best role or anything like that. It wasn't bad by any means, but it's nowhere near great. The 30 Rock kid was better imo.

    ReplyDelete