Monday, September 8, 2008

Getting the Hang of Things

A few weeks ago I posted a blog about my returning to school to get my master's in elementary education.

In order to get into the program I had to take a handful of undergrad classes, thanks to not taking the right path when I was originally in school (and a few classes I did take not being able to transfer). Anyway, this semester I am taking three classes - two online and one in class.

After the first week, I found myself a little behind. It was more difficult than I had originally anticipated. I wasn't ready for the amount of work being mixed with my actual job, spending time with my family, eating and sleeping.

For instance, the math class that I am taking online requires quite a bit of downloads to actually get through the course. I am unable to do most of the work for this course at home because I use my wife's computer, which I am not allowed to download anything on. So, time is sort of hard to come by.

After falling a bit behind, I worked pretty hard to get caught up - which I did. Then, I think I did something pretty smart - I made myself a due date guide. Basically, I went through each class and put when everything is going to be due. So far, my math class only lets me know what is due in short bursts - so I don't have the entire year mapped out - but for the other two classes I know everything.

And you know what - it is actually working. I find myself ahead in most of my classes now. Which when the time comes, will leave me with more time for some studying.

I have a small thing I am worried about with each class. In English it's the reading in front of the class - I have always hated talking in front of my peers, which is one of the main reasons I am going into elementary education - but, I have gotten a lot better in terms of this over the years, thanks to my job as a journalist. In Science it's the lab reports. I am having such a hard time with the 'Proper Lab Documentation', so I have yet to put anything in the book - but I am going to be taking care of this by the end of the week. And finally, in math it's the midterm and final.

In Science all of my work, including tests is done by myself - I am never worried when it comes to English, but I am a bit apprehensive about the math tests. I have to take them in front of a proctor, with just my calculator. Trying to remember all of these equations is insane - especially since I haven't taken math in like eight years.

But, I am hoping to come out of this unscathed. I look forward to finally getting into the master's program - and in a few short years being an elementary school teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment