Thursday, September 4, 2008

Football Returns

I have come to the realization, that despite my adoration for the sport of basketball, football has morphed into my favorite sport to watch.

Perhaps it's because football is only on for a minimal amount of time. One cannot truly miss basketball, because it is only truly gone for three months. Baseball, as most of you know I am not too fond of, is basically never gone. It ends in November and Spring training starts in February.

But football is only around for about five months. It does end in February, but it is usually only one game - the Super Bowl.

Anyway, the National Football League kicks off its season tonight as they have begun to do now in the past few years - with the previous season's Super Bowl champion hosting a game. Thursday games are sometimes pretty annoying, but I feel that this game is worth it. It is a celebration of the new season, as well as a final celebration for the Super Bowl champion.

So, I figured I would run down some of my picks for the season (sort of like I did with baseball, but I care a little more).

Again, these are just my predictions.

Conference Champions
NFC East: Dallas Cowboys
NFC North: Green Bay Packers
NFC West: Arizona Cardinals
NFC South: New Orleans Saints

AFC East: New England Patriots
AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC West: San Diego Chargers
AFC South: Indianapolis Colts

Wildcards
NFC: Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers
AFC: Jacksonville Jaguars, NY Jets

SUPER BOWL
Dallas Cowboys vs. San Diego Chargers

SUPER BOWL WINNER
Dallas Cowboys

Season kicks off tonight with NY Giants hosting Washington Redskins at 7 p.m. EST. Good luck to your team - as long as they aren't playing mine.

1 comment:

  1. If I were to put up some predictions, they'd look awfully similar to yours, if not identical.

    This means one thing: they will be wildly inaccurate, or at least there will be a couple head scratchers like Washington winning the NFC East or Denver taking the AFC West - there seem to be a few of those every year.

    I don't care much for tonight's game, but will definitely check it out, and I can't wait for Sunday.

    ReplyDelete