Friday, August 22, 2008

The Future

Well, I made a pretty important decision about my life over the past few weeks. I have been thinking about it for awhile now, and finally this week I took the plunge.

I have registered for a few classes at Clinton C.C. in order to get the criteria needed to get into the Plattsburgh State elementary education master's program. Yes, I am planning to become a teacher.

I have already graduated once with a B.S. in communications mass media and a minor in professional writing. And, I absolutely loved writing for the local newspaper (loved the writing part, hated everything else about it). But, my family always comes first in my life, so when it became apparent that my night hours was wearing on my family I took a day job in the mechanical contracting field as an estimator.

There were rumors that I would be groomed to take over the office down the line - so I was kind of excited about that. But, nearly a year since changing careers - I have come to realize that there is no way I can do the job of my boss - nor do I even want to, this job is definitely not my cup of tea.

So, for most of the summer I have been researching and talking with numerous people to figure out if I should get into the teaching field - and I am pretty excited about it. It's been nearly five years since I have taken an actual college class, so I am a little apprehensive, but I think I will do alright.

Anyway, wish me luck as I journey into my new career.

EXTRA: Last night was my last summer basketball game. Our team, which finished third during the regular season with a 6-2 record, won our first playoff game last week. This week, however, we were down two players - and the other team had around 12. So they really ran us down and we fell in the semifinals. Still, finishing in third place isn't so bad with the competition in our league. We shall see if I will continue on in this league next summer or not. Time will tell.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... a male elementary teacher. How... rare.

    I'm going into high school teaching (I start student teaching on Monday! I've been prepping with my mentor teacher for the past two days). I'll be student teaching for Junior-level English.

    So yeah, teaching's a tough gig... probably one of the toughest jobs out there (because it's a huge culmination of different jobs--teacher, police officer, custodian, secretary, babysitter, parent, friend, etc.--and on top of that, it pays squat and gets very little respect from the ignorant masses (and don't forget the parents)).

    So yeah... good luck! We shall be on the same journey... sort of... since, you know, I'm secondary and you're elementary... and you'll be just starting and I'm about to graduate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are very happy for you, Keith. I'm glad you've decided to go forward in your career and do something that will make you happy. Who knows, maybe one day we'll be colleagues in the same school. How cool would that be?!?! We will be here if you need any help...but we know you will do great!!

    ReplyDelete