Friday, June 13, 2008

Marvin the Martian

Everybody has their favorite cartoon character for some reason or another. I am a huge fan of a number of different characters. Woody from Toy Story, Mike from Monsters, Inc., Donkey from Shrek, etc.

But, there has always been one character that truly is above them all: Marvin the Martian.

I usually tend to gravitate towards the lesser knowns, and when I was looking through cartoons - Marvin wasn't used nearly as often as the other characters. So seeing him was a real treat.

The fascination was truly propelled when I won a Marvin the Martian t-shirt at a school dance. It was like a sign or something, he was meant to be the character for me.

Since then, however, I feel Marvin has grown in popularity. Back in the day, it was always Bugs or Daffy or Porky, but now the lesser known characters have become more popular. That still doesn't mean he isn't my favorite.

I am not sure what it is about him, his odd voice, the fact that he is an alien or if he just looks interesting, but for years now he has been my one constant.


Some interesting facts about Marvin:
  1. Made is debut in Haredevil Hare in 1948.
  2. His likeness is on both the Spirit and Opportunity Mars rovers.
  3. Originally had no name, but was known as Commander X-2.
  4. Voiced by Mel Blanc originally.
  5. Also voiced by Bob Bergen, Eric Goldberg and currently Joe Alaskey.
  6. Hails from Mars.
  7. Has a dog named K-9.
  8. Was the referee in the movie Space Jam.
  9. Can currently be seen in Duck Dodgers.
Haredevil Hare

1 comment:

  1. I WAS ALWAYS PARTIAL TO TWEETY BIRD.
    RYAN SAYS HE LIKES BUGS BUNNY.

    ReplyDelete